Today, Klarna Bank AB (publ), a leading global payments and shopping provider, has released its Annual financial statement release for July – December 2019, and the full Q1-Q4 of 2019.
Klarna has again consolidated its global position as the leading ‘buy now, pay later’ provider and successfully expanded its proposition into the wider shopping experience online and offline. The uniqueness of Klarna’s consumer offering, providing a healthier, simpler and smarter alternative to credit cards, is driving consumer and merchant adoption across markets.
Läs den fullständiga bokslutskommunikén på svenska här.
- Klarna’s rapid global growth continues across 17 markets – year on year volumes and revenue increased by 32% and 31% respectively. Gross merchandise volume now amounts to over USD 35bn* and total operating revenue net is USD 753m.
* Total monetary value of sold products and services through Klarna over a given period of time.
- 75,000 new merchants added to the platform during 2019 – or one new merchant every 7 minutes. Klarna now has over 200,000 active merchants across 17 markets globally.
- New global brands who joined this year include: Expedia, Dyson, Wayfair, Aliexpress, Samsung, Michael Kors, Abercrombie & Fitch, Farfetch, Timberland, Swarovski, H&M, H&M Group- COS, Monki, Arket and & Other Stories, Jimmy Choo, Agent Provocateur, Bugaboo, Marchesa, Pretty Little Thing, River Island, Shein, TOMS, Rue21, RayBan, Superdry, Missguided, Hollister, Fanatics, Good American, S by Serena Williams, Hibbett Sports, MVMT, Daniel Wellington, Oliver Bonas, ACNE, Toteme, Halfords, Mejuri, Hot Topic, Lulus, APC and thousands more across verticals and markets. They join other global brands like ASOS, IKEA, Peloton, Ticketmaster, Adidas, Nike, Sephora, Bose, Missguided, Sonos, Beauty Bay, Gymshark, Thai Airways and Lufthansa.
- Klarna is the ‘pay later’ partner of choice for the top 100 highest grossing merchants in the US.
- The acquisition of SMB merchants across markets continues at pace with 300% growth compared to 2018.
- On average 1 million transactions are processed a day on the Klarna platform.
- Klarna is now driving millions of referrals and traffic each month from our owned channels to the merchants, as consumers are actively seeking out merchants where they can shop with Klarna. By 2020, Klarna expects to generate one billion leads to the entire merchant base across markets through these channels.
- Consumers continue to choose Klarna in all markets, with more than 85 million consumers globally and in Klarna’s main growth markets, the US and the UK, the number of consumers has increased by 6x and 2x respectively.
- There is strong consumer engagement as preference and loyalty grows, in some key markets an average of over 70% of consumers make multiple repeat transactions over a 12 month period.
- The growth of the Klarna app as a shopping destination continues. In the US, the monthly active users increased 4x during the last six months of 2019, and new features gained instant traction as over two million items were added to consumer wishlists and price drop notifications within the first months. Since the app launch, we have been the fastest growing player in the US payment sector and Klarna app downloads exceed our nearest competitor by over 50% in the key retail months. The app was the #1 trending app in the US in google play store in Autumn 2019.
- In the US, the popularity of the direct to consumer allowing consumers to shop anywhere online with Klarna all through the app is growing rapidly and monthly active users have increased by 4x since June 2019, boosting the consumer acquisition rate and transaction volume.
- Monthly active app users globally are close to 11 million, with average 37,000new app installs every day.
- Klarna card issuance has increased by 6x, while volumes and number of transactions grew by 20x, and 24x respectively.
- The ‘Klarna everywhere’ concept ensures that consumers can choose how and when to pay for purchases with Klarna across touchpoints continues at pace. Instore volumes across markets have increased with more than 5x and Klarna is now live in over 10,000 physical stores.
- The average monthly CSAT (customer satisfaction) score amounted to 86% across markets indicating that consumers are happy and engaged with the services provided by Klarna.
- In line with Klarna’s consumer friendly strategy and ambition to decrease revenues related to late fees, app features that truly help consumers keep track of their purchases and pay on time are continuously developed and proven successful as share of late fee revenues continue to decrease.